Do want to stay on top of your tasks and get more work done in the day? Then you must start managing your time. If you are a freelancer, you need to read this piece of writing. Your income depends on the number of hours you put in or the amount of work you do. If you are just able to make the most out of your time, you can make more money, right?
There are only so many hours in a day. You can’t reclaim them. So how many hours do have left for today? Have you given some thought to organizing your workday? If you haven’t, it’s high time you do.
Importance of Time Management
Let’s take a moment to understand the importance of time management:
- Less stress
Proper time management can actually make you say goodbye to stress. You won’t have to deal with surprises and tight deadlines. Rushing to get the job done in the last hour means you will make mistakes. But when you are completing the project before the deadline, you will have enough time to review it.
- It makes you efficient
Time management allows you to get more work done without compromising on quality. You do what you have to sooner. As long as you work smarter not hard, you will get more things done.
- You become more in control
Once the unhealthy stress is out of your life, you feel as if you are more in control of your situation. Yes, you will face the same amount of distraction but you will be in the right place. Why? Because you know how to manage your time.
- You feel fulfilled
Time management teaches you do accomplish those tasks that matter the most. Once you are able to do that, you feel fulfilled. Imagine how great it would feel if you are able to accomplish those tasks that you had marked important.
- More free time
As soon as you start making better use of your time, you will have free time at hand. You can use this time to either do more work or spend it with friends and family. In short, you will get more things done in a day than before.
- It improves your reputation
Those individuals who value time are considered reliable people. Such people are demanded by all organizations. Nobody will have a shadow of a doubt that you will compromise on the deadline. If somehow, you aren’t able to meet it, your boss will understand. Because you are not the type of person who makes excuses. You actually get work done.
Time Management Tips
How to get more work done in the hours that you have? This calls for getting your hands on some time management tips. Let’s review them:
- Get goals: The first thing you have to do for getting more work done in a day is to set goals. It’s very important to be clear about what to accomplish. Follow the SMART goal methodology to set your goals.
- Prioritize: Once you have set the goals, it is time to prioritize the task. Of course, you can’t get everything done in the same day so come up with a priority list. Once you are done with the important tasks, the stress will go away.
- Use a time management system: Tasks are either urgent or important. Sometimes, they are both urgent and important. With a good time management system, you can focus on the right things.
- Audit how you spend your time: Just following these tips is not enough. Maybe there is room for improvement. The only way you can tell that is if you audit how you have been spending your time. Create a journal that describes how you have been spending your time. Write down how much work you got done and how much time you wasted. The results will shock you.
- Get the MITs done: Mark Twain said if your job is to eat the frog, then do that first thing in the morning. And if you have 2 frogs to eat, then eat the biggest one first. What he meant by this is to tackle the Most Important Tasks (MITs) at the beginning of the day. It will then be easier to sail through the rest of the day.
- Get rid of bad habits: Whether it is playing games, binge-watching TV shows or scrolling through your social media feed, all these are habits that eat so much time of your day. If you are serious about getting some work done, eliminate these habits from your life.